New Orleans, LA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Louisiana

Q: Can I take a previous landlord to court in order to have a collection on my credit report removed?

On June 2017, I moved into an apartment. Within two weeks my A/C stopped working. I requested it to be fixed, and they attempted to fix it a week later by adding antifreeze to the unit. The problem was that the unit was leaking antifreeze. So for the first two months of my lease, the A/C unit would stop working, and maintenance would arrive a week later to add antifreeze, and within days the unit would stop working. Then the unit stopped working all together. I collected pictures of my unit and how it was leaking antifreeze. In the 1st of August, my air conditioning had not been working for two weeks. So I handed a letter to the landlord informing him that I was living elsewhere until the problem was resolved and would not pay rent for the days I did not stay in the apartment. The issue was resolved in September. I moved back in, and for the remainder of my lease I informed my landlord that I would not pay for August. The landlord consented to the arrangement but marked my creditrepor

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christie Tournet
Christie Tournet
  • Mandeville, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If you have those notices, timeline, and notice of non payment for days where you could not live in the apartment, I would submit to the landlord, or whatever collection agency may have reported, to contest the reporting and to advise that the report is without merit, as you have evidence supporting the non working a/c and the inability to live in the apartment without a/c. Request removal within a time delay. If that does not happen, then, you may have to proceed with litigation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.