Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Estate Planning for Florida

Q: My brother has been on SSI and Medicaid. He received an inheritance but failed to report it right away.

We moved the inheritance into my account so I can help him manage it. Is there any thing we can do to keep him from losing his benefits? Is it too late to move the inheritance into a special needs trust?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lauren Nagel Richardson
Lauren Nagel Richardson
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Gainesville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Your brother can transfer the money to a 1st party special needs trust if he has been determined to be disabled by SSA or Medicaid and is under the age of 65. There is particular language which must be included in the special needs trust for it to meet the requirements for him to keep his benefits, for example, the State must be the designated beneficiary of the remainder upon his death up to the amount of the benefits that he received, with any balance thereafter going to his estate. You should work with an experienced elder law/special needs attorney in your area to make sure that the special needs trust is drafted correctly.

Ben F Meek III agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.