Scranton, PA asked in Wrongful Death for Pennsylvania

Q: How do I find details of my fathers wrongful death suit in PA from 8 years ago?

Would it be filied in county he lived or county the accident happened? I'm having extreme difficulty finding it. I do not talk to his wife which is the one that filied it. I do know she filied one because my sister and I were going to file but she already had. I just want to see the details of it because we did never receive anything. I don't think its possible for her to get everything since he didn't have a will. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It could be filed either county. Check both. Start with the county where he lived at date of death. they will have an estate opened for purposes of litigation. That will have information on the court case, and an "order of distribution." That says whether someone claimed you and your sister would get money or not. Also it would say if there was a will or not.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.