Opelika, AL asked in Criminal Law and Personal Injury for Alabama

Q: If I was falsely accused of vandalism is it a case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
J. Brent Burney
J. Brent Burney
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Decatur, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: I assume you mean, do you have a civil cause of action against the person that falsely accused you of vandalism. If so, that would depend on several facts. In short you would have to prove that the individual knowingly and intelligently made false statements about you. If so you could have a claim for malicious prosecution. In order to succeed the criminal case would have to be dismissed or not guilty verdict/judgment returned by the court. I would advise you to speak with a lawyer in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.