Omaha, NE asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska

Q: Can someone that is not the owner but is conservator/guardian of my grandmother, adjust and obtain rent of property.

In October my grandmother's oldest daughter was given conservator/guardianship over her. She placed my grandmother in an assisted living facility in Pender, NE. On October 21st she approached me with a month to month lease claiming herself as the landlord. In the lease it states she would follow landlord/tenant law, she did not do so as there have been several instances where she would be in my home without any sort of notification. I have been unemployed for most of the year which caused me to not have the funds to pay the rent she decided to put in place, she stated we'd work something out and not to worry. I was just served papers on 5/15 for her taking me to court for past due rent. I've been told by several people that she cannot request rent on property she does not own, that she only manages what assets my grandmother has. Is it true that she cant obtain rent like she has been?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler
  • Omaha, NE
  • Licensed in Nebraska

A: When there is a lease and payments not being paid pursuant to the lease, the guardian/conservator often has a legal duty to pursue unpaid rents pursuant to the lease terms for the ward's property. The rents would go to the ward's estate and not to the conservator herself even though the conservator is collecting and managing the funds.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.