Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Nebraska Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: I paid $600 deposit then changed my mind about the place, can i get my money back?

landlord told me the deposit is non refundable, I dont understand how or why.

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 8, 2019

The law generally holds people to the terms of their contract even if one party later changes their mind. If a deposit is non-refundable per the terms of the contract, the Court will generally enforce that provision and not require the return of the deposit.

1 Answer | Asked in Agricultural Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: Farmer is threatening to rip out posts he installed on rented ground if we don't sell the ground to only him. Legal?

We paid for the fence that houses his livestock. And paid hour wages to install the fence. We also did not charge rent in the earlier years because our livestock ran with his. So he's been compensated for the posts but he still is threatening if we don't sell it to him then he will just rip out... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Aug 8, 2019

The landlord and tenant's duties to each other are defined under Nebraska law but are often more specifically defined in a written landlord-tenant agreement. What a tenant can do to install improvements or remove improvements on the property they are renting depends heavily on what this agreement... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: Can someone that is not the owner but is conservator/guardian of my grandmother, adjust and obtain rent of property.

In October my grandmother's oldest daughter was given conservator/guardianship over her. She placed my grandmother in an assisted living facility in Pender, NE. On October 21st she approached me with a month to month lease claiming herself as the landlord. In the lease it states she would follow... Read more »

Julie Fowler
Julie Fowler answered on Jun 10, 2019

When there is a lease and payments not being paid pursuant to the lease, the guardian/conservator often has a legal duty to pursue unpaid rents pursuant to the lease terms for the ward's property. The rents would go to the ward's estate and not to the conservator herself even though the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law, Bankruptcy, Family Law and Landlord - Tenant for Nebraska on
Q: How can I take over my childhood house?

My parents owned the home but we're letting the bank foreclosure on my childhood home because of bankruptcy . So I started to make the mortgage payments to try to get it put into my name for my new home, but now the bank is talking about for taking about foreclosing on me/her (my step mother). My... Read more »

Brendan Michael Kelly
Brendan Michael Kelly answered on Jul 24, 2017

You should save the payment money and approach the bank to take over the loan. Yet, the bank in not likely going to be able to talk with you about it since your not on the loan. Making payments may take your dad out of default but you won't get any credit for the property and your just helping your... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.