Upper Marlboro, MD asked in Divorce for Missouri

Q: Which state should my mother file a suit? Does she have a choice?

My parents have been divorced a long time ago. My mother has a legally binding agreement that states she will receive a percentage of my father's retirement funds. He has not paid her anything since child support(2003), she's been scared of him because of the physical abuse from him in the past, the only reason why I am reaching out here is because I have a severe heart condition and probably do not have much time left. And I don't want my mother and siblings to be stranded in vain. Thank you for reading....

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Christopher Fink
Christopher Fink
  • Kansas City, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: In all likelihood she will need to enforce the Judgment in the same state as the divorce judgment. If she is dealing with retirement funds, then a qualified domestic relations order (QDRO) or Division of Benefits Order should have been referenced within the divorce decree and drafted shortly thereafter and filed and approved by the Court. I'd recommend reviewing the divorce judgment and get a copy of the docket entries from the court record and see if perhaps this has already been completed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.