Morristown, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: Can I have a CPS case reopened?

My son was shaken in 2017 CPS took my kids and opened a case on me. It was found I didn’t have anything to do with it or know about it. It was found I was a work at the time. They charge me with failure to protect and Child in danger meant. After finding out I was innocent My case remained open. Is there anything I can do about this case? The case was closed in 2018.

1 Lawyer Answer
P. Justin Thrailkill
P. Justin Thrailkill
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fayetteville, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: What are you trying to do? Are you wanting the case reopened? If so, why? It sounds like the previous case was dismissed. If this case never reached court, it likely never made it past the investigation stage. If the investigation found you were not responsible, the case would be closed. If something new happens, they will open a new case and possibly revisit old allegations. The distinction of whether you are reopening an old case or opening a new case really isn't important.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.