Honolulu, HI asked in DUI / DWI, Personal Injury and Car Accidents for Hawaii

Q: Can I sue someone for a hit and run in Hawaii where its a no fault state when they fled the scene after hitting us?

We were making a left hand turn on a green light when a car came out of nowhere and ran a red light at a speed of at least 50mph. They T-boned our car and we spun out before bouncing off of a pole on the other side of the street and then finally coming to a stop. I and my sister had to be extracted from the car by the paramedics and rushed to the ER in an ambulance. My sister ended up staying at the hospital for four days for abdominal bleeding before finally being released. I was cleared for trauma later that night but being that I was the driver side passenger, I took much of the impact and ended up with massive bruising, lacerations, major ankle sprain, concussion, and a through and through gash through my tongue. The Driver and front passenger were extremely lucky and have no other injuries aside from minor bruising, neck pain, and muscle aches. On the scene, one of the people from the car that hit us came to my window to assess the damage and once they saw the blood they ran away

1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: Contact a personal injury in Hawaii immediately. You have probably already notified your own insurance carrier; have your attorney place them on notice of an uninsured motorist claim. It sounds like it was a busy post-accident scene that involved a police response, as there were EMTs. Your attorney should move quickly in investigating whether there were witnesses and move quickly to explore the possibility of any video evidence.

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.