Krum, TX asked in Divorce and Legal Malpractice for Texas

Q: I think I have a negligence case against my lawyer. I’m not sure I need to ask someone.

My attorney said we had this divorce won he said I would have the house and car. He said we would be divorced in December but he didn’t get something to the judge in time. My ex was able to file an answer long after the time he was supposed to. Now he has hired an attorney. He if fighting me for it all. When he is using meth and is mentally abusive to me. I’m so upset. I have this attorney because he is willing to take payment from the home I was selling when I got it in the divorce. Now I don’t know what to do. Also he has contacted my ex numerous times with dates and such but they never tell me anything. I call they won’t answer ever I’m at my wits end. I never know what is going on.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Victoria Collins
Victoria Collins
  • Fort Worth, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Re-read over the contract and fee agreement between yourself and your attorney. Fees, expectations, and so forth should be addressed in there. That said, your attorney has an obligation to keep you informed as to the progression of your case. However, if you feel that your attorney is not acting in your best interest, you may file a grievance with the State Bar of Texas. Here is the website:

You are free to terminate your relationship with your current attorney and hire another, but try to discuss your concerns first. Also keep in mind that an attorney will want a retainer up-front before taking on your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.