Detroit, MI asked in Divorce for Puerto Rico

Q: I want a divorce, if my wife does not want to sign the papers can she refuse the divorce?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. Your wife can refuse a mutual consent divorce but there are other causes for divorce such as irreconcilable differences. This cause is a way to get a divorce when one party does not want a mutual consent divorce. There is no denying this type of divorce. It is basically a done deal whereby one party files suit stating that he/she does not want to continue in the marriage due to differences that cannot be worked out thus a divorce is the only solution. The simple disagreement of not wanting a divorce is enough for the Court to grant this divorce.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.