Minneapolis, MN asked in Car Accidents and Personal Injury for Illinois

Q: my son-in-law caused accident ystdy & a girl who driver was injured. he doesn't know what to do. his ins had expired/

My daughter's bf was getting onto exit and veered back onto the expressway and cut off an suv and the suv lost control and rolled over several times. the driver was injured. his insurance had expired. they let him go with 2 citations and a court date. he is only working part time. he and my daughter live in peoria. they both only began work recently. can he get a legal aid lawyer? can you advise me on what to tell him? who should he call?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Wyomissing, PA

A: Was it his vehicle? if not and the vehicle had insurance that would cover him. He can contact legal aid but chances are they won't handle a case like that as it's not a criminal case. Ultimately, if he's sued, bankruptcy may be his best option.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.