Chambersburg, IL asked in Child Support for Illinois

Q: Can the custodial parent of a child file for back child support of a now 26 year old even though they never filed before

My biological father is apparently paying child support for another child he is responsible for. I was just wondering if there was any way to make him take the responsibility he should have taken a long time ago by paying child support for me. He knew I existed, he’s listed as the father on my birth certificate, and I also have his last name. My mother never filed for child support against him when I was a child. Now that I’m an adult, I have student loans and medical bills to pay for and if he had paid child support all those years I may not be in as much debt as I am now. I just want to know if legally we can make him pay anything to me.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: Usual rule is child support starts from the filing of the paternity case or when the other parent is served with the summons.

Child support ends at age 18 or finishing high school but no later than age 19.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.