Tuscola, IL asked in Child Support for Illinois

Q: Child is in HS and custodial parent still doesn't work. Paying $1700/month. Can court force her to work and contribute?

Illinois. Divorced 15 years ago and paid 3 years of alimony so that the ex could go back to college. She had only completed college through her junior year. She took the money but didn't go back to college. The last of our 3 children will be turning 18 next year and ex has been living off child support, with me paying for absolutely every extra (not court ordered, just doing so to keep kids happy). We're going to court to lower child support based upon Illinois' new income share model. Ex isn't working although there's no reason in the world she shouldn't be. Is Illinois likely to revise child support based upon what she could be making full time, even at minimum wage? She woirked full time before we were married and before we had kids. She is Peruvian and, in her own mind, she thinks I should support her forever.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The court can impute income to a non-working parent.

Every case is different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.