Chicago, IL asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Illinois

Q: How do I respond to a petition for cause? How do I defend my majority parent appointment?

I live 66 miles from my previous address in Sangamon county. I didn't file a petition with the county clerks because the father and I had a verbal agreement. He and I have been maintaining out parenting agreement and getting along really well for over 12 months now, with my new address. He just filed a petition for cause because of my move. I am majority parent and my address is my daughters for school registration. Kindergarten starts in August and the father wants to petition to be the majority parent and have my daughter in school with his address. She did not attend preschool so we could keep 50/50 with the distance for an additional year.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your daughter has been going to school where your are for the past year and the father went along with it, the court may very well find that there was an agreement of the parties to modify the parenting plan.

Why not come up with a new parenting plan that works for both of you.

Click on the parenting plan on this page to download a sample:

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.