Pelham, NH asked in Child Custody for New Hampshire

Q: Is alcoholism grounds for loss of child custody?

Husband is intoxicated and unsafe with children but refuses to leave home. What do I do? I am afraid he will get partial custody if i take it to court and I'm terrified of my kids being in his care while under the influence

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra
  • Nashua, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: That would certainly be a factor in a custody (parenting) determination. However, courts tend to want both parents involved in the children's lives. Without documented abuse, it is difficult to fully terminate parental rights. If the alcoholism is well documented (arrests for DUI, etc.), you MAY be able to get favorable custody split, and he may only be allowed supervised visitation, etc. However, you would need to consult with an attorney to review the specifics of your situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.