Ashland, OH asked in Child Custody for Ohio

Q: How can a Child of 11 years old choose to live with his grandparent in the state of Ohio?

Parent continually misleads the child. Places no value on education. Deficient on maintaining healthcare as the child has severe allergies. Does not take the child to scheduled physical and mental appointments as the child suffers from PTSD. Favors younger daughter in all instances. Taunting and belittling in public. Raised in an adult drug and alcohol environment. The grandmother is feverishly working to remove him from this culture. while the child was a baby, children's services were brought in no more than three (3) to no avail.

Childs parents are not married, Father is in prison. Mother has married the best friend of the child's father. The child is failing school and the grandmother has homeschooled the child to prep the child during the summer for the next year. The summer prep has been going on every year of school. The mother refuses to help the grandmother or the child in any way.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Rini
Denise Rini
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The child cannot choose, the Parties can agree or pursuant to 3109.051, a Motion for Legal Custody can be filed in the Juvenile Court where you reside. Any person that has a relationship to the child may file and most jurisdictions have forms on line.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.