Lees Summit, MO asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Missouri

Q: I need to know how to change the venue or jurisdiction of my divorce with a minor from SD to MO?

Both my ex-husband and I have moved to MO. Need this changed so we can look into changing the custody arrangement and use DSS in MO to enforce child support. How do I start this process?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jessica Emery
Jessica Emery
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • St. Louis, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: If you already have a divorce decree and you are looking to modify your parenting plan, you would need to register the South Dakota Judgment in Missouri and file a motion to modify. You should contact a lawyer to assist you. If you just need the child support enforcement moved, you can contact the Family Support Division for assistance with the forms.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.