Berwick, PA asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Received a citation for going 41 in a 25 MPH zone. Cop said he would cut me a break and cite me for 30 in a 25.

I was the last of four cars in a row pulled over at the same time. I'm not even convinced I was going that fast. He gave me the citation without a total due filled in on line 34. Instructions say to mail in the total amount due written on line 34 in the form of a money order or check. The fine was 35, EMS 10, surcharge 45, and the J.C.P./A.T.J. (whatever that is) 22 dollars. Why would he not total it. Also if mailed can I plead not guilty and just pay the fine. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cary B. Hall
Cary B. Hall
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Norristown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You can contest it, and it will be your word vs. the cop's word -- and/or whatever method used by the cop to check your vehicle's speed. How lucky do you feel? And do you want to take off half a day from work to go contest the ticket, and then perhaps lose and have to pay additional court costs for the hearing?

By reducing the mph over the speed limit, the cop is giving you a break by not putting "points" on your driving record. Not a bad deal, honestly. I say it is what it is: pay it, and move on.

Best of luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.