Renton, WA asked in Patents (Intellectual Property) for Washington

Q: Tracking patent application after changing jobs


My employer had filed a patent in 2017, where I was one of the two inventors. I understand the ownership of IP is with company, but I want to find out how do i even track the patent application status. The application was filed in 2017 and I believe it would have been through private PAIR by the IP attorney at company, the search result do not bring any information. How do i track it if i know the application number.

2 Lawyer Answers
Peter D. Mlynek
Peter D. Mlynek
  • Patents Lawyer
  • Moorestown, NJ

A: It should have been published by now. Patent applications are generally published 18 months after submission of the application, but in some cases, the applicant can ask that the application not be published.

Because sometimes Google patents and other services are months behind, you need to go the patent office website to look for your application. Try to see the patent application publication.

To track the progress of the application, go to Public PAIR on the PTO website.

If you can find it, send me your information, and I'll take a look.

Karima Gulick
Karima Gulick

A: As Attorney Mlynek mentioned, patents are published within 18-months unless the applicant requests a non-publication, in which case, the application won't publish until it's issued.

Another way to look for the application on Public Pair ( would be to look under your name as the inventor to make sure you have the right application number.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.