Watertown, MA asked in Wrongful Death for Massachusetts

Q: I am being asked to make deposition by former employer due to wrongful death suit, what are my rights?

I worked as assistant manager (manager on duty at time of incident) for school/residential program serving children with autism and developmental disabilities. During a shift many years ago all the children had the flu. One died. Now his family/estate are suing the school and requiring my deposition. I have had this hanging over my head for months. I’ve been fairly cooperative. Date for deposition is set. I don’t want to but have been told I’ll be fined/held in contempt if I do not comply. I feel this is very unfair. I did everything I could to save this child. Even telling the nurse on duty she was wrong and calling 911 myself. This was already traumatic, now I get to live it again without choice. It’s causing a great deal of emotional distress. Furthermore it’s going to cost me money, missed wages for myself and husband (he insists on being there and so don’t want to be alone), parking, transportation. It all seems very unfair. I don’t even work for them anymore and haven’t for years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: If you are a witness who has relevant information on a matter before a Court of the Commonwealth and properly served with a subpoena you do need to attend and you have the right to obtain counsel to represent you in the deposition as well. This is akin to jury duty in that participation is required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.