Alexandria, VA asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Texas

Q: Selling an investment home, how do I show profits are going to business partner when title is in my name?

I am financing an investment property in Texas that will be sold when it is finished making it a short term capital gains. The business partner I am working with is the person doing all the rehab and will be taking the lions share of the profit however I wanted to be the person on title because I was the one financing the project. At the sale of the property, how do I show the profits mostly went to my business partner? Do I need some form to give to the person or just write it as an expense and then they reflect it in their return?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Andrew M Steiger

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Grosse Pointe, MI

A: If you and your friend are in business as a partnership, you’d file a form US 1065 and give each partner a K-1 form to report items of income on your 1040 return. It sounds like you should work with a local accountant to figure this out. If you’re not a partnership, then your payment to your friend wield be an expense to you and income to him as an independent contractor. Maybe you give him a 1099 as well, and he pays his people and worries about his own expenses. A written legal agreement outlining rights and responsibilities would help substantiate any reporting that you end up doing.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Stephen V. "Steve" Davis

  • Austin, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: To keep the record straight and closing you should have the title company issue Separate Checks to each of you and make sure on the HUD-1 that there are line items for each of you. That would be proof of any outcome of a written agreement between you and your Co investor

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.