Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Child Custody

Q: i’m 14, and if i wanted to live with my dad, how do i make that possible when my mom says no?

my mom and dad divorced when i was 11, and i never got the option to choose who i want to live with. my moms verbally abusive, and she has literal mental problems but refuses to get help. i want to live with my dad, and i’m going to visit him this summer. is it possible for me to just stay there, even when my mom says no?

1 Lawyer Answer
Denise Rini
Denise Rini
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH

A: Greetings from a bright and sunny Friday. The short answer is MAYBE. Your Father may file an Emergency Motion for Temporary Custody in the county where you live, though after you are with him. A Guardian ad Litem will be appointed and will recommend to the Court what is in your best interest. You will not be able to choose, though under ORC3109.04, the Court will consider your wishes. Hope this helps

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.