Troutman, NC asked in Probate for North Carolina

Q: My mom passed 4 years ago and her will has never been through probate because the property is mortgaged. I am not in

charge but am her oldest child. What can i do? I wish to return to her home and live there with my grandson. The payments have been made but want this mess cleared up. We live in NC. I have asked the person in charge to look into this matter but am told they can do nothing because of the mortgage.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: There are ways that you can compel the production of a will - or if no will is produced you can open an intestate estate. I recommend that you discuss further with a lawyer - I'm glad to help.

Thank you,

Evan Lohr



Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.