Columbus, OH asked in Personal Injury for Connecticut

Q: What if your trying to sue the state for negligence and or deliberate indifference and you were a minor at the time

The statute 52-577d always 30 years past age of majority but the Connecticut state law to sue the state says 1 year. But if you weren’t of majority at the time you were not able to sue. So that is unjust. Is there a way around that or would I have to take it to appeal court ? I filed a claim with the claims commissioner the Attorney general filed for dismissal because the lack of jurisdiction and past the statute of limitations but she was saying in language indicating waiver of sovereign immunity the statute of limitations in 52-577d do not apply to claims brought to claims commissioner..

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing
  • Wyomissing, PA
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: You should contact an attorney who handles such claims such as Michael Koskoff to see if there is a way around it. Chances are there are not,because the statute of limitations is set by each state and a court can't overrule that statute.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.