Kodak, TN asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Kentucky

Q: I have a question about becoming administrator of an estate

my biological mom passed recently and there was no will left. where I was adopted out of foster care I am wondering if the court won't grant me power of estate. Its just me amd my half-sister and she is a minor. nobody is contesting it. should I bring any documents like my original birth certificate and termination of rights papers or anything like that to court when I go or what's the best way to do this and is there any reason I would be denied

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY
  • Licensed in Kentucky

A: If her rights to you were terminated, you no longer have the right to inherit from her. If they were not terminated, then you can petition the Court to be appointed administratrix of her estate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.