Hampton, VA asked in Social Security for Puerto Rico

Q: Do I have legal ownership of my social sec number, passport and birth certificate at 18 years old in Puerto Rico?

My mother threw me out a year and a half ago just as I had turned 17. I’ve been living with my grandparents ever since in the same town and turned 18 last November. My mother refuses to give me my legal documents, even though I’m of legal age. My passport is also the only form of identification I have as I don’t have a drivers license. Are there any laws that could help me get my documents?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The legal age in Puerto Rico is 21 not 18. However, since the passport and social security are federal government issued documents you do have the right to get copies of said documents from these agencias. You can also attempt to get emancipated from your mother through the courts. This would rule you as a person of legal age.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.