Honolulu, HI asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: I plan to purchase a home in CO with my (adult) child, splitting the down payment, mortgage, and all costs 50/50.

I'll be contributing cash and she'll be securing the mortgage, but I'd also like to be on the deed. Can this be done without my name on the mortgage loan? Also, if I should die, can my 50% be automatically split between the child I co-own the property with and my other (adult) child? Is there a specific type of contract or legal agreement I should get to ensure that this happens? Is there a legal name to this type of contract? Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Castle Rock, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You definitely should be named on the Deed, to protect your investment. Yes, you can obtain a mortgage obligating only one individual but take title to the same property in the name of two individuals. You risk that you will be wiped out should the lender need to foreclose.

You'll need to take title via Tenants In Common Deed type.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.