Lithonia, GA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Georgia

Q: For a 13 year old being charged with a simple battery what can be my punishment?

There was an incident where myself and a teacher got into a altercation with the door, I (speaking as the child) was pushing the door as she was pushing the door onto me and she stepped out of the way of the door and i let it be and walked away.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael D. Barber Jr.
Michael D. Barber Jr.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Your question depends on how you were charged. Will you be in juvenile court or are they treating you as an adult? Additionally, you could face issues in both criminal court and civil issues with the school as well. The school may choose to expel you or they may give you in house suspension, out suspension. You are facing major issues over this "altercation." You may need to talk with your parents about getting help from a attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.