Browns Mills, NJ asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for New Jersey

Q: My mother in law is debt about $100,000 She owns 2 homes outright and believes that the debt dies with her Is she right?

She lives on the rental money from a condo and lives in the other home. We have been trying to have her put the houses in her daughters name but she wont because she uses the tax breaks from owning the homes.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick

A: Maybe not. Depending on the kind of debt, if the creditors want to enforce their rights they can sue your mother's estate (i.e., the houses and ay other assets she owns) after she passes. Consult a collections lawyer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.