Aurora, CO asked in Real Estate Law for Colorado

Q: Is it legal for a property owner to adjoin his gravel driveway onto our existing private paved drive without permission?

A property owner's land abuts our property. Between our paved road and this neighbors property lies our drain swale and right-of-way. Without our permission, he presumed to dump a load of gravel to build his own access onto our private, paved road. He is now damaging the edge of our pavement when he and his traffic drive up onto our pavement.

In spite of our numerous attempts to contact and reason with him, he refuses to do anything about this. We contacted the Sheriff's department who told us to install "No Trespassing" signs. The neighbor promptly removed all four of them but faced one of them towards our property.

How do we get this neighbor to remove his gravel from off our property and desist from further using and damaging it?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You should contact an attorney to review the facts. A neighbor like this may respond to an attorney's demand letter explaining that if he continues his current action he will be sued, he will lose, and it will be expensive for him. Or he may not and you may have to bring the lawsuit to prevent the further trespass and recover your damages.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.