Charlotte, NC asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Puerto Rico

Q: Does a person filing divorce have to go to family court in Puerto Rico to determine custody of children?

A friend of mine lived in Puerto Rico until 6 months ago. He moved to Puerto Rico from Florida when his wife moved to Puerto Rico with kids to stay close to kids and be involved in their lives. Even while separated he provides $1000/ month to support the kids. He's been separated from wife for 4 yrs, and wants to file divorce.. will that require going to family court due to having children?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Nelson Jose Francisco Alvarez-Aponte
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Carolina, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Hello and thank you for using JUSTIA. The divorce process is held in family Court. The process includes determinación of parens patria,custody, child support and visitation rights if the parties do not reach an agreement among themselves. Our system is extremely jealous in protecting the children and always attempts split custody when possible.

Jose M. Rivera Santos
Jose M. Rivera Santos pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Ponce, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: Yes, the divorce process will be filed and handled in Family Court in Puerto Rico. The family court will also oversee every process that has to do with the parental rights and visitation rights as well as the child custody and the child support matters. It is public policy of the upmost importance for a family court and the State to look out for the well being of the children that are under the Puerto Rico Jurisdiction.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.