Tampa, FL asked in Banking for Puerto Rico

Q: My grandfather has a joint Banco popular account with my mother she has passed. Now its frozen for 2 years please help

My sister was head of my mother's estate and knowing that account wasn't my mother's she informed the bank about my mother's death. She never listed the account in probate court and never helped get the account reopened it's been closed now for 2 years now and my grandfather can't get Access to his account the bank wants him to go the the bank in PR he is 95 years old and he can't travel. We need help getting his account opened it's his life savings. Thank you for your time Dan

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: Unless someone does something before your grandfather passes Banco Popular will win. If they have not been doing it already, Banco Popular will start service charging the account each month, draining off as much money as possible before the government of Puerto Rico requires them to turn over whatever is left of your grandfather's money to the Puerto Rican government; the legal process is called escheatment (no pun intended).

Fortunately, there are some very experienced Florida lawyers who understand how international banking really works and can advise you and the family how to go about getting Banco Popular to obey international banking laws. The process is not very expensive. Look for experienced lawyers with international banking knowledge here on Justia and contact one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.