Vacaville, CA asked in Divorce and Military Law for Texas

Q: How do I apply for and file for a divorce from my abusive husband. I'm in CA and afraid to go home in Lone Star, TX

He is at my home in Lone Star with the kids....His 3 biological. He is a VET and a very abusive alcoholic. He says if I come with my grown kids to move out, he's going to have his motorcycle brothers come when we come. I'm afraid for me and my children and his! I don't want any problems. It's my personal separate property.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Paul E. Tennison
Paul E. Tennison
  • Military Law Lawyer
  • Nashville, TN

A: I recommend you call attorneys in/near the Lone Star, TX area and discuss your potential case with them. It is possible that you could file the divorce while you are still in California. You could likely pursue most of the divorce without ever traveling to Texas. You may also consider seeking an Order of Protection or something similar that would force him to stay away from you if you return to Texas. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.