San Antonio, TX asked in Medical Malpractice for Texas

Q: is the doctor considered negligent for not referring to ENT sooner?

my son had ear tubes put in 2011 but continued to have recurrent ear infections with ruptured eardrum again since 2013. He was treated over and over with antibiotics and has recently been diagnosed with mastoiditis, cholesteatoma, and a fungal infection that no medication is resolving for the past 6 months. He has already had another surgery since April 2019 and will require several more. He also has moderate conductive hearing loss that may be permanent. Everything he has endured so far, and still has to go through, has changed him. He has trouble making friends at school and has anxiety about certain things. Could this be a case based on the assumption that the continued antibiotics caused him to build up resistance letting the fungal infection be near impossible to treat, and also not referring him to an ENT when the ear infections kept happening?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tim Akpinar
Tim Akpinar
  • Medical Malpractice Lawyer
  • Little Neck, NY

A: The best way to evaluate the matter could be to set up a consultation with a Texas med mal attorney. It could come down to a matter of being able to demonstrate with medical evidence the extent of damages incurred as a failure to make such referral(s), if that was the case. Good luck

Tim Akpinar

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.