Tulsa, OK asked in Medical Malpractice and Wrongful Death for Oklahoma

Q: Can a son sue for wrongful death of father for medical malpractice if the father's wife doesn't want to?

My father died of cancer. He went to the Dr. for a clot in leg. CT showed stage 4 cancer in lung, liver, elsewhere. Upon getting this news my father said he had 2 chest x-rays done months before at a pulmomologist's office and after the last one the Dr. said it might be cancer. No one knew of this, including his primary. Not sure if it is in his chart. His wife isn't interested in legal action, can his son sue?

1 Lawyer Answer
Benjamin Oxford
Benjamin Oxford
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: I'm sorry to hear about your father. You can sue on your own behalf, and potentially on behalf of your father's estate.

The wrongful death statute in Oklahoma allows children to bring their own claims for grief and financial loss. Additionally, you can bring the claim on behalf of the estate if you are appointed by a Judge to be the representative, and it is common for an adult child to do so.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.