La Porte, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: 50 in few months looking to divorce. No place to go and not much money at this time. What can i ask for?

Both want divorce but id like to file. Can i ask for some financial help from husband to get me out and on my feet?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Allen Thornton
Robert Allen Thornton
  • Dallas, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The short answer is yes. You can ask for some help while the case is pending for sure. Whether you could get spousal maintenance after the case is over, depends on your situation and how long you have been married. You would have to file the case and set a hearing for temporary orders. There, you would ask the court for help to get on your feet. He can only be ordered to pay from a proven source of funds though. Any money lying around is presumed to be community property anyway. If there is no liquid cash, the amount you get will depend on how much he makes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.