Q: How to get phone records as evidence in a child neglect case

My grandson's father's parents are claiming neglect against my daughter and their son DCFS is involved & I am trying to collect evidence to prove that they have lied and manipulated my daughter & DCFS into not only investigating the accusations but not notifying my daughter or myself until the night before our first court date. DCFS only had contact with them and that is not how an investigation is to be Conducted. Any information would be helpful thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
William Wolf
William Wolf
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: These are questions to address with your daughter's lawyer. Ask to make an office appointment with that person, and then make that appointment.

I have seen too many cases where well meaning parents start playing the role of defense investigator for their child. These people are all well meaning, as any parent wants to protect their child.

But you have no training to be an investigator, and you have no legal training. Chances are that this, without input from your child's lawyer....... is a disaster waiting to happen.

I once had a case where the mom brought a minister to the court date to help conduct an interview with the complaining witness. She came within at least a hair of breaking the law. And the judge was incensed when he found out what my client's mother was doing.

It almost cost us the case.

If your daughter does not have a lawyer, she needs one. I'd start shopping for a good one.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.