Austin, TX asked in Divorce for Texas

Q: Is refusing to comply with some divorce decree provisions cause to appeal the decree? Is J of P court an alternative?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Robert Allen Thornton

  • Addison, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: No to both questions. You have to enforce the decree in a district court. If it is a family district court, and the provision involves the children, you have to go back to the family court. If the provision resulted from an agreement that could be enforced as a contract you could file in a civil district court.

Chad Zubi agrees with this answer

Rahlita D. Thornton

  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: You need to file for an enforcement action but only after you have a clear understanding of those provisions set out in the order. Let us know if we can help. 888-343-4529.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.