Las Vegas, NV asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: Hypothetical. The step-father, dies. He has kids from first marriage. they are all over 30...

They don't really have a relationship, other than a phone call couple times a year, they live in Kansas. Is the surviving widow obligated, by law (in Nevada), to address any concerns from his children from first marriage? Even if the will is silent on the issue. Its about the residential home. What do his first marriage children get? Does the widow (spouse) de facto get the husband belongings, all of them till her ownership ends. I would guess the will needs to be specific on the issue? I get that, but what does the law say about the situation. ie No will or is silent on the issue.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: If there is no Will, the law of who gets what without a Will (intestate succession) applies. This law does not take into account the nature of the relationship between the Decedent and any child or spouse. If there is no Will, and if the gross value of the estate is over $100,000, 1/3 goes to his current spouse and the remaining 2/3 to his children--an equal share to each living child and if he had a child who has died and left children of their own, then those kids get the share the dead child would have gotten.

If there is a Will that doesn't mention some kids, but does mention others, one would really have to examine the language of the Will to determine if the kids from the earlier marriage can claim they are entitled to a presumption that they were inadvertently omitted.

But regardless, when probate is initiated all people who would inherit in the absence of a Will (called the intestate heirs) must be notified of the probate proceeding in case any one of them wants to challenge the Will being offered to the Court.

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.