Buena Park, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: warrant. jail time?

I'm 19 and I lost my wallet a month ago and in ny wallet I had my ticket and I just found out today I missed my court date and now I have a warrant. is there any way I can explain to a judge what happend or have an extension after falling to appear to court

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Marc David Pelta

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Francisco, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I would suggest you meet with an experienced attorney asap and then consider your options.

Ghazal Sharif

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You need to speak with a public defender or criminal defense lawyer to arrange to recalling the warrant. It is far better to do that than to take chances on being arrested on the warrant and then jailed. It would also be helpful to be able to explain why you failed to appear in court. If there is any written record (such as a letter from your doctor, your employer, proof you lost your wallet) which may help to explain your absence, the judge might consider giving you another chance rather than putting you into custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.