Asked in Family Law for Arkansas

Q: I have a 17 year old daughter that lives with her father.She is out of school and has a job.

She does not what to live with her father anymore.Will we have to go to court to change the custody status?She is 2 months aways from 18.Her father has a girlfriend that is on drugs.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: While she's still a minor, the person who is her current custodian has the legal right to make decisions for her. If you went to court, the problem might not even be solved by the time she turned 18 and it would be pointless, by then.

Does he want her to continue living with him?

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.