Severn, MD asked in Child Custody and Child Support for Maryland

Q: Is there a way that Me and my sister can move with my dad because my mom is rarely there to take care of us.

I’m 17 and have been asking my mom multiple times if I could go live with my father because she is constantly getting home late from work where she works from 8:00am - 4:30 but gets home at a lot of times 9pm or even sometime 12am at night. When she isn’t home always have to take care of my sister by herself while she is out doing whatever. She constantly threatens to send me to my dads house if I tell him about things that are going on in our household and told my little sister to not call him or else she will be beat and force to go live with our dad. We asked to set up a time so that we could talk about this with my Dad but she always dodges call’s and the meetings set up and even told my dad she won’t modify child support and custody and told him that she will give him 300$ for me to live with him but not change it permanently. What do I need to do so that my sister and I can permanently go to my fathers house since my mom isn’t cooperating?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Pugliese
Elizabeth Pugliese
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: Your father can file to modify custody. He does not need your mother's permission to do so. Also in the state of Maryland, you can petition the court in your own right to modify YOUR custody. If your sister is under 16, she cannot do it herself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.