Portland, OR asked in Criminal Law for Oregon

Q: I payed to have my background checked while trying to purchase a handgun from a retail store. I read a question wrong.

I marked no instead of yes. I turned it in and was denied. And then I had two officers tell me that they could arrest me for a simple mistake. They say I committed a crime of false swearing. I think it's ridiculous that they gave me a ticket and now I have court. Is there any way of me be able to get out of this. It was a mistake.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Gary Kollin

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: First tell them you didn't know it was "paid" instead of "payed."

Then retain a lawyer

Shawn A Kollie

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Bend, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: This is a great question! The crime of 'false swearing' or 'attempted felon in possession of a firearm' could have both occurred in this factual scenario. It's important to speak with a knowledgeable gun rights lawyer about the possible ramifications of this type of crime and the possible routes for restoration. Do not speak to law enforcement any more about what occurred.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.