Asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Arkansas

Q: Am I allowed to move out of state with my child without going to court?

My childs father and I were unmarried. We split about a year and a half after she was born. She has been with me for 2 years. He moved to another state for rehab but has moved back and now claims he wants to be part of her life though he shows no consistency. I want to move out of state within the next 2 years. Am I allowed to do that?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Patrick R. Lee
Patrick R. Lee
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: It depends on whether he has established paternity. If he's signed an acknowledgment of paternity or his name is on the birth certificate, he may have an argument that he has rights to the child, but it also sounds like no court has awarded him visitation or anything. If he wants to stop you from doing anything, he'll have to take you to court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.