Penn Valley, CA asked in Probate for Nevada

Q: Deed Upon Death

I have a Deed upon death, but not related. The deceased has personal property in the condo and Clark County has taken Action to secure personal property. Blood relatives not cooperative, how do I proceed as owner of real property to obtain title and remove personal property out of real property, personal property is valued probably less than $5,000.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Craig Reed
Jonathan Craig Reed
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Licensed in Nevada

A: Probably the Clark County Coroner has secured the condo to give the estate a reasonable time to remove personal possessions and look for things like bank statements and safety deposit keys. I think your first step would be to call the Coroner, explain your interest, and ask how long the Coroner will secure the condo for. The Coroner's office might explain that to the family, or might not. You will need to get the Decedent's death certificate and file an Affidavit of Death of Grantor of Transfer on Death Deed. That will show you ownership when the Assessor's website is changed to reflect the new ownership.

However, I would proceed cautiously here. If the family does not advise that they have removed everything they want I think you should consult with a lawyer as to your next step. This is not an issue I would be interested in handling.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.