Orlando, FL asked in Child Support and Divorce for Texas

Q: Husband filed divorce

I don't know how to fill out the child support forms or the final decree

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Chad Zubi
Chad Zubi
  • Houston, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Greetings,

If your husband has filed for divorce (and especially since you have children) I suggest that you obtain counsel to help you navigate the entire process. It is not just a matter of filling out forms. The divorce decree specifically, is a detailed document that is going to play an important part in your life for potentially many years to come and it is important to have a qualified attorney help you obtain a deep understanding of each of its provisions. In addition, there are some courts that do not accept the checkbox style forms that you may be referring to. In my opinion, it is a mistake to proceed with a divorce without obtaining the advice of proper legal counsel.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

A: You should seek the assistance of an attorney so that your best interest is taken into account, especially if he has an attorney. Many attorneys accept credit card payments, making it easier to afford one. If you absolutely cannot afford one, you should call the state bar and inquire about any pro bono attorneys in your area. -Homer P. Jordan IV, Esq. 404-620-1558 HomerJordan.com

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.