Boise, ID asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Idaho

Q: I'm starting custody with my ex. I'm needing some deeper advice.

I'm asking for sole legal custody, and joint physical custody but had a schedule created for us to fallow. I have reasons of to why I would like my son with me more. If he responds, what preparation and paperwork should I put together for mediation? Do I need an attorney for mediation? I work part time, and go to school part time so he is financially more stable than I. I've also been living with my mother since I left him while I was a stay at home mom due to his alcoholism. I have proof of his manipulative ways but no proof of the abuse that was going on while he would drink. Yes our son was around. My son has a terrible attitude when I get him back, I believe there is no structure while in his fathers care. As well as a routine for our son. Our son works around his fathers schedule and life, versus with me. My school and work all work around his life and the schedule I've created for him.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kevin M Rogers
Kevin M Rogers
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Boise, ID
  • Licensed in Idaho

A: So you go to school and work and your mother watches your son while you work and go to school? Who drafted your “schedule to follow?” You? So you’ve filed some kind of Petition for sole custody? Why?

Your ex may be an alcoholic but you lack any proof of abuse (to you? to the minor child?) while you were with him? Was there any kind of domestic violence to you when you were together? Or just manipulation of you?

I think you’ll be lucky if he doesn’t file a response once he sees that you’re asking for sole custody. You want to say if and when the father sees his child, and tell me now who is being manipulative? I’m sorry, you don’t say that your ex has convictions for domestic violence? No convictions for drugs? And apparently no convictions for alcoholism? And the only reason you think a court will grant you the right to say IF dad gets to even see his child is because he didn’t treat YOU well during your relationship with him? Not a chance! Sorry again. You’d stand a lot better chance of him NOT responding if you would re-draft your Petition but this time giving dad 40-50% of the time with his child and giving him joint legal custody also. I hope dad comes to see me quite frankly.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.