Lake Jackson, TX asked in Criminal Law and Public Benefits for Texas

Q: Can I sensor tax returns they are requesting?

Im currently under investigation by the OIG for HHSC for medicaid and food stamp fraud. I haven't been charged yet. But they are wanting me to submit copies of the kids dads tax returns for the past 8 years. He is currently under an IRS audit after the tax preparer made a mistake on his income. He discovered she's been filing us as married for 8 years. He's never received a copy of his tax return as she's been his only preparer for years and was a trusted source. However this means ive been unknowingly using false information on my application for benefits because I do not file taxes myself. They said they only want the copies to confirm his address- but im worried submitting them could incriminate me. Am I able to censor information I give them? Black out all information outside of the address and His name. Would I be better off not submitting at all? I told them about the mistake on this years return, however we were barely informed of the rest of the years being incorrect.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roy Lee Warren
Roy Lee Warren
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • San Marcos, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Remember, if the fish kept it's mouth shut it would not have got caught.

Because OIG is attempting to prosecute you, hire a lawyer to represent you. I would not trust them because if they just need to confirm his address they d/n need 8 years. Also going back that far in time could subject you to more criminal charges (most felony statute of limitations is 3 years). Please seek counsel before submitting any documents. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.