Asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Probate for California

Q: How do I proceed with pursuing failure to serve me as heir and fiduciary misconduct in my father’s estate?

A questionably valid POA was signed while my dad was on many forms of life support and then a Trust was created with that POA. Money was taken and placed into the POA’s personal bank accounts and she continued to collect that money after his death on the POA. She was required to handle my father’s burial and instead left him hidden from his family for nearly a month until I found out. She did not serve me in the 60 timeline and is now trying to serve me through her attorney. She has received over $34k to date.

1 Lawyer Answer
Richard Samuel Price
Richard Samuel Price
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Redlands, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You may have to file a petition with the probate court to seek relief. This is complex and you need an attorney. Contact an attorney in your area.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.